Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Query on Being Amusing

On more than one instance I have had the pleasure of being called "funny." This is all well and good, considering that a sense of humor is very important to me; anyone lacking a notion of humor and wit can give up the notion of being considered anywhere close in my life. Being funny is apparently important, as my friend Leigh also wrote a blog about it.

Yet time and time again, I am regarded as funny. Amusing. Entertaining. Witty. Whatever term the current situation best merits. Which leaves me wondering what exactly is it about me that causes this happiness for others. It's not from trying, which would seem to indicate it's merely a natural gift?

Of course, my scientific mind questions the behavioral origins of humor. Is humor instilled in certain individuals as a means of sorting hierarchal disputes without violence, or a means of attracting a mate; both are uses today. I guess I'll just keep telling amusing jokes, witty anecdotes and sassy one-liners until I know more. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think the sassy one-liners amuse me the most. :)

    ReplyDelete