Monday, October 4, 2010

Honesty: An Ethical Quandary

So today I was informed that I needed to lie sometimes. The problem was that I desperately wanted to go get a soda (energy levels depleted and I didn't want more coffee for fear that someone would die), but carry no change. As I reached for my wallet to double-check I uttered this small prayer out loud:

"Dear God, if you just make a quarter appear in my wallet I will... well, I'm not going to lie and say I'll try to be a better person or something, but honesty has to count for something?"

Alas, no quarter. However, I was promptly informed that it might be okay for me to lie about certain things, since there were apparently many things wrong with that statement. Rappers get to thank God for helping them write songs about drugs and booty and grillz and I'm being criticized for being honest in a mock prayer!?

Though, this does pose the question: When is it okay to lie? I was raised to believe that it's never the best option. As far as white lies are concerned, why waste the energy? Keeping track of big lies is far too complex. Though, being honest with people may hurt their feelings... and I'm not stranger to bitch-slapping others with my opinions. I think I will remain blunt and direct, but at what point is lying okay?

1 comment:

  1. I have a tendency to avoid making feel bad, so I get into a lot of the little white lies.
    Probably not healthy, but there it is. I've been trained to not disappoint people.

    ReplyDelete