Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Out and About Birding

So right now I'm actually going to endorse something: the Texas Parks and Recreation department offers a pass to get into all of their parks. It's a yearly pass, and it really is worth it. If you're interested in the Parks Pass, information can be found here.

Today while on a picnic in Brazos Bend State Park, we were treated to several hundred wood storks flying directly above us. They were flying pretty low, I would guess only 100ft tops. It was a wonderfully impressive sight. We also saw several alligators, coots, orb weavers, etc. Also, one VERY pretty copperhead that my friend Jess told me not to cuddle with.

All in all, Texas parks really have a lot to offer. There are quite a few of them, and it really is nice to be connected to nature that way. :)

5 comments:

  1. Where were you when you saw the storks? It sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry, I thought I included that. I guess that's what I get for posting from my cell phone! It was at Brazos Bend, specifically the first picnic area. We hiked to the lake from there and were able to see them roosting in trees on the far bank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Parks Pass - I've had one almost continuously since I moved to Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can you obtain one of these magical passes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've updated the blog to include that special information, I wrote the blog from my phone and can't include links when doing it that way. :) I'm actually happy so many people are interested!

    ReplyDelete