Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Is God an Evil Dwarf?

First and foremost, let me begin by saying that I am a complete and total gleek. I enjoy the characters, the storylines (though getting tired of Rachel), and the music. For a former debater, the way the show argues for increased support of arts education is thoroughly appreciated.

However, the show also has the capacity to hit a number of highly-pressing social issues. The episode on faith which aired last night was just such an episode. In essence, Kurt faced a serious issue and was left to contemplate his own notions of faith. Kurt asks his fellow Glee-clubbers to explain how he could believe in a God that made him gay and encouraged his followers to hate him.

In light of the ridiculous amount of bullying cases being reported due to harassment of young homosexuals, this episode comes at a remarkably important time. The fact of the matter is that homosexuals are one of the most socially marginalized groups that is antagonized and oppressed at a ridiculous rate.

However, I'm not going to argue the issue of gay oppression. Instead, the very real problem of a lack of faith in the gay community will be the subject of this post. Kurt hit the nail firmly on the head with regard to spirituality, for himself as well as the majority of gays I have met.

I'm not intending on pushing religion down your throat... I don't believe in religion. Faith is a different notion entirely. The world is far too difficult to deal with on your own, especially when the world seems against you so often. Plus, I personally have a hard time believing that the majesty of this world is the result of a random accident. Religion is not a necessary component of life, but I believe faith in something bigger than yourself is.

For those who do not watch Glee... First of all, WATCH IT! It is thoroughly amazing. At the end of the episode there was a sense of recognition of the importance of faith... Pretty good for a network television show.

I am a firm believer of science, and have had many difficult times understanding how faith and science could play together. Care to discuss these ideas further? You had me at "fabulous hat."

8 comments:

  1. I have some thoughts on the blending of faith and science... It might be fun to have a long discussion some time. Not sure a blog comment is the best place for it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not have the discussion here? Then, other people could jump on board too! Here are a few of the tenants I believe in:

    1) World is too incredible to be the result of mere chance. I don't necessarily think it was the conscious efforts of God that created the world; however, I'm totally up for the possibility that "God" is a unique electrical anomaly that intiated the spark of a biochemical reaction and created what we call life.

    2) I don't have faith in prayer as it is conventionally viewed. God will not pick up the phone and grant you your greatest desires; that's what autonomy is for. If you want something, get it yourself; you have that power. However, I do believe that there are components to prayer that are most likely outside our understanding. Thinking positive and being positive is an effective means to improve the health/well-being of a person... so what's to say that this energy can't be applied to the betterment of another person as well? There is so much about the human body that is just not understood...

    3) Religion is pointless. Following the previous two points, the notion of an organized religion serves no real benefit. I believe you are more in touch with a notion of spirituality if you go outside and stand under the sun... feel a gentle breeze. Do things that actually grant you an interaction with the energy of the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are my thoughts:
    1. I think that there is something greater than us, but it is too big for any one person (or religion) to understand completely. Here is my analogy: Everyone is in a house together, and God or whatever is like the yards around the house. Everyone can see part of the yard, and related beliefs are like nearby windows. So I don't think anyone can say someone else's beliefs are wrong.

    2. I think Christian beliefs and science can work together. If I was creating a whole bunch of stuff (plants and animals), I'd set up a system (like evolution) so I wouldn't have to do as much work. And once the world was set to go, I'd let it do its thing unless something major called for intervention.

    Those are my original thoughts. I don't think science and faith (or even religion) are contradictory unless you start to get too fundamental on either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That may be the greatest analogy for the subject I've ever heard. Congrats, :)

    I very much agree with the notion of systems such as evolution. I'm also a big believer in personal autonomy if that wasn't clear, so we've addressed the actuality of the subject.

    Of course, this then poses the notion of a moral code: Is it based on a belief of good/evil, is it inherent to all societies. I believe there has to be a notion of a moral code in all societies simply for that culture to protect itself; I don't think we get a notion of good/evil from religion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe in the power of prayer. I just have to remind myself that sometimes the answer is "no." Humans don't like to hear that. But yeah. I know that every time I pray, I won't necessarily get what I ask for. But I sure do believe God was listening to lotsa prayers the night you nearly died. He said "ok" then cause (I believe) he had more plans for you. I'm glad :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a comment on here and the computer crapped out two hours later...im gonna just sum it up by saying "COEXIST" (If your lost look it up on google) Its a cool bumper sticker and even tattoo I've seen time and time again Ex. each of the letters stands for a different relgion/teaching/sex. C- Islam, O- Peace sign, E- Male/Female, X-Judaism, I- Wicca/Pagan, S- Taoism/Confucianism, T- Christianity. Respect, Tolerance, and an open mind to others in that they may have other ideas that you don't necessarily agree with would do us all some good and would make the world a better place. :)

    ReplyDelete