Saturday, October 2, 2010

Des epines

So, it seems only fair that I provide a bit of explanation as to where the title of my blog comes from. Anyone who ever been delighted to read "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery should be familiar with the notion of thorns. In essence, this child's tale brings to light the story of a rose with four small, delicate thorns. The rose is not humbled by this... on the contrary, this fragile flower is more than willing to take on the claws of tigers. This seems to be the approved method for how I have lived my life.

Through accidents of all sorts (physical, mental and emotional), I have more than proven that I am an individual capable of being hurt. That being said, I still begin each day more than willing to take on the world and whatever challenges it throws my way. (Those who have read the story also know that the attitude of the rose is little more than bald-faced lying, a "fake it until you make it" mentality.)

I like this book. It is FILLED with amazing philosophical quotes. If you haven't read it, I must seriously and genuinely suggest it. Important thoughts include things such as:

-You are responsible for the things that you "tame", the relationships you forge.

-Things of true importance are visible only with the heart.

So that is the reasoning behind my blog. Not only does it describe where I feel I am coming from, it describes where I hope to go. When speaking of the rose, alone on it's own little planet, the little prince points out that it doesn't matter that he can't see his rose. He can look at the stars; knowing his rose is amongst them will then make him happy, and he can then find happiness just from the stars. I try my best to make those around me better and happier... perhaps they can find the beauty in the stars as well?

2 comments:

  1. I love The Little Prince, and I re-read it recently because of your blog title. :) I think aspiring to be the rose for the people in your life is quite admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I may have to read the Little Prince again. This time in English. Back in the day of college I read it for a French class which left me with very little command of the language.

    ReplyDelete