Sunday, October 24, 2010

Putting the "No" in Techno!

So today saw a spike in nerdiness I had not experienced in sometime: My friend Leigh and I had a truly existential conversation on the notion of communication in the modern era. Mainly, we were complaining about various aspects of "txt speak" that irritate us, but it started to lead into deeper and more hard-hitting points. Undoubtedly, I'm of the opinion that technological advancement has done a great deal to damage our ability to communicate. At one point the complete history and culture of a civilization was dependent on oral tradition, yet now it is possible to "communicate" without once making actual contact with another human being. This, I feel, is shameful.The very nature of communication is (in my less-than-humble opinion) to make a connection with someone else.

Well, all this talk of communication reminded me of this: a duo a friend and I put together/performed on the ways technology is impairing our culture. I was proud that the idea for this came to me after seeing a lolcat image with the phrase, "I can haz thumbs now?"

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. An interesting question for you - if our conversation about technology and communication was entirely online (which it was) does that invalidate the conclusions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Leigh.

    The performance: flawlessly done! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh - You should know better than to assume this conversation is finished.

    Rochelle - Thanks! It really was one of my favorites... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly I made an error... ;)

    ReplyDelete