Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Halloween 101 - Body Paint

So, I like to have a fairly out-there costume... and I believe in immersion. I want to believe that I actually am what I am trying to portray. Sometimes, this doesn't exactly fit with the skin tone I was given. Obvious solution? Body Paint

For example: A Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) is a pretty interesting plant, and also my favorite tropical bloom. Unfortunately for the person wanting to be a Bird of Paradise, it's also green...



Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia reginae
So obviously, this can present a bit of a problem... unless you're prepared to go all out!

Me, as a Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) 
Obviously, I'm not naturally green... which presented a problem. Now most of the body paints and creme makeups I've seen have had a number of negative aspects that I didn't like. So, naturally, I experimented and established my own unique system. I simply mix 1 part acrylic craft paint to 1-1.5 parts cocoa butter lotion (I use Queen Helene, but I'm sure any good quality cocoa butter lotion will suffice). The acrylic craft paint means you have limitless color possibilities, and the cocoa butter actually prevents the paint from flaking and drying off instantly. There are a couple things to remember about this stuff, though:

1) This works much better with vibrant colors, pale colors and white are a bit more of a challenge.

2) The paint will lighten in color when mixed with the lotion, but it should dry the color you initially chose (or slightly lighter). The color will be much lighter when applied, but it will darken as it dries.

3) It comes off pretty easily with just soap and water, and I have never had this method cause the OUTRAGEOUS outbreak that other paints have caused. That being said, the color does sometimes linger (it tinted the dry skin on my knees for a couple days, but only a bit that came off easily).

4) This paint is not waterproof. It breathes really well, so you're unlikely to sweat it off. However, I usually also apply a coat of spray glitter just to help secure it and hide any places it might have been lax in coating.

5) If you are applying this to somewhere you need to move, get a friend to help. I needed to apply it to my back, which I could reach with the rollers I had. However, the skin of my back moved as I was applying it, causing an uneven coating. I had a friend apply an even coating in less than 1/5 the time I performed the sloppy, frustrating job on my back.

6) This should go without saying... but take a moment to think about whether or not this is the best option for you. I have had people ask me for my recipe because they REALLY wanted to go out in the bodypaint... and the response in my head was, "Really? Because I bet a bunch of other people would REALLY rather you wore actual clothes..."

4 comments:

  1. I love that you took the time to create your own body paint recipe!
    Another option for coloring your whole body without the whole "skin on display" part of body paint is a full body unitard. Dancewear suppliers make them hooded, high-necked, or various other combinations to make your whole body (other than face) a differnt color.
    Of course, colors are limited to what the dance people offer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well not only that, you cant do patterning or anything more complex. This recipe works pretty well for things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd make a mean Elphaba if ever you wanted to be from Wicked, just saying :)

    ReplyDelete